Why the Cyclades in Greece… again?
We were not finished with it. In 2013 my mum couldn’t tag along as she had a severe accident with heavy burn wounds as a result. As if she knew in advance… she was reluctant to say yes to my invitation to travel along before the accident even happened.
In 2015, the wounds were healed and she felt good enough to join us. The kids and me wanted to bring her to the places we really loved last time.
This was our thinking:
- Need to add Athens – we didn’t do this last time due to lack of time. Mum loves anything to do with archeology… hence.
- Need to add Delos and by proxi then Mykonos. Not that I am that found on Mykonos, but Delos is a special place and only reachable in an easy manner from Mykonos. Unless you have a private boat, which I don’t.
- Adding two things, means skipping two things… Serifos and Syros. Serifos because of maybe it being too small and the difficulty to find enough accomodation. Syros because it is so hard to get to or include due to the ferry schedules.
- Hire a car in Athens for the whole trip. I saw the ferries. More than enough room to drive the car in. I am no longer worried about that.
- A swimming pool in all locations…
- A bit more time to spend onsite
The rough plan
I really exaggerated this time… 3 weeks away from home. I found it even too short, but for the kids it was time to see dad again.
This is what I came up with:
Day 1 – Flying in from Brussels to Athens in the morning with a full day to spend in Athens. For the kids this was more than enough.
Day 2-7 – The Island of Sifnos. The favorite… staying in our private windmill.
Day 8-10 – The Island of Ios. Marvelous beaches… brilliant hotel we stayed in before…
Day 11-13 – The Island of Naxos. We were not finished with this one… too big to explore in one go…
Day 14-16 – The Island of Mykonos and Delos. By this time fatigue sets in… we didn’t see much of the island
Day 17-22 – The Island of Santorini. Staying in a private little village with great pool and surroundings… Santorini didn’t let us down again.
Day 23 – Flying home.
Again… great memories